Friday, August 11, 2006

Recipe for Great BBQ

Over the last 5-6 months, I have been reading about, watching BBQ shows, visiting BBQ forums and experiementing with varying recipes for rubs, sauces, glazes and brines in an effort to arrive at my own recipe for great BBQ. The one thing I have learned throughout all of this is that there are umpteen million variations of ingredients to make great BBQ added to other variables including equipment, prep, temp and personal touches.

It is not so simplistic as to take one winning recipe for a rub or sauce, use it and think you also have a winning recipe. I was listing to a podcast the other day where an award winning chef explained that he had no problem sharing his recipes with anyone including competing restaurants. He likened it to Picasso teaching his style to others and handing them the paints. The recipent can not imitate and come up with a Picasso work of art. All to say, a lot about preparing great BBQ is the personal hands on touch of the cook.

In reading through recipes in all the BBQ cookbooks I have accumulated, I find for example that the basic recipe for a rub is very similar throughout all these refereneces. My plight is then to take that basic recipe and tweak it to my liking. This is an ongoing task as I could never be pleased knowing I can always improve and do better.

Next weekend "Four Q BBQ" will be competing in the Silent Valley RV Park Competition in Banning, California. Our team practice is this weekend where we will be fine tuning our team entries.

8 comments:

Curt McAdams said...

I came to the conclusion that I have no secrets in my cooking... If someone else can take what I do and improve, then I have to learn more. I think everyone comes up with slightly different results even using the same ingredients.

I'll look for pics of both your practice and the comp next week... Hopefully, 4Q can bring home some more awards!

maltese parakeet said...

i love that you listen to podcasts. you are too cool! you need a bbq podcast - i would definitely listen. good luck at the competition!

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Good Luck and try to stay cool in Banning. We will be looking forward to some photos.

barb said...

Wishing you good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I share recipes and techniques because I know that no one can reproduce exactly what I do.

Heck I can't even reproduce the same thing twice. I can get close but it's always a little different.

sylvie1950 said...

Thank you all for the support. This is an IBCA event so the rules and presentation are a little different from KCBS. It will also be a learning experience.

MP, I love podcasts. My favorite one is the "Restaurant Guys" in New Jersey. I also like NPR, some programs from the Culnary Podcast Network and Bon Appetit.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Sylvie. I'll be thinking about you.

Question--what do you think of Steve Raichlan's books and show? I have one book, not the one you show there, and have seen his show a few times. I really like his approach and manner, and his recipes are easy to recreate. Any thoughts?

sylvie1950 said...

Glenna, it's ok and he does give some good pointers. I like the Ribs book best of the ones of his I have. I sugggest the Peace, Love and BBQ book by Mike Mills if you're going to invest in a good BBQ book.