Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hot Pot with New Ingredients To Me- "Soul Pho"

They say, "Sylvie, that sistah will cook anything". I present to you- Soul Pho, pronounced "soul fuh" or as I would say it soulful. Maybe a better name would be Pho Soul as in "for the soul" because this hot pot was comfort food full of fresh veggies, homemade broth, good protein and it brought a heartwarming vibe which soothed my inner being.

What made this sooo good was the labor and time intensive process of making the broths. Three sources which included simmering a whole chicken, simmering chicken feet and simmering beef tendons and combining the broths. These broths are combined in a Japanese Danabe Clay Hot Pot.

The recipe was "intuitive" to me. I just combined ingredients and amounts to suit what I had and my taste. Chicken chunks, thinly sliced ribeye, kale, spinach, mushrooms, onion, garlic, fresh sliced ginger, cabbage, parsley, julienned carrots and green onions. The chicken feet were used just because I saw them in the Asian grocery store and the beef tendon used as thats what I find is used in a number of Vietnamese Pho recipes. Soul Fusion combined these ingredients to make this wonderful meal.

3 comments:

GirlyFruFru said...

ewwwww I don't think I like that

sylvie1950 said...

Don't knock it til you try it. The chicken feet are very gelatinous and offer a smooth tasty flavor to the broth. The texture is sort of like pickled pigs feet. I can't handle menudo or chitlins but this texture was very good. The beef tendon was even better.

Martha Hardcastle said...

I make a very similar broth with a combination of chicken and beef - sometimes pork, too. The chicken feet are a great addition - I try not to spend too much time handling them because they are really bizarre to contemplate . . . I like to brown the meats and bones in the oven before cooking for a richer flavor.