Saturday, May 21, 2005

IMMB #15 - Cocktails- Jelled

Elise of Simply Recipes is hosting this months IMBB #15 “Has My Blog Jelled? As I pondered what I could make for this event, I did reminisce about all the molded Jell-O salads and other Jell-O treats of my childhood. I did truly enjoy all the concoctions my mother made including those where ingredients like shredded carrots or other vegetables were set in this colorful jelled treat. In those days there wasn’t sugar-free Jell-O but who counted calories.

How did I arrive at my choice to post for this event? Well, it sort of found me. I attended a bridal shower for one of my cousins. One of the treats was “Jell-O Shots” made with tequila. These were the hit of the party. The array of booze you can add to Jell-O is almost endless. From the web, I found recipes for Margarita Jell-O shots, Amaretto Sour Jiggle Shots, Orange Jell-O with peach schnapps, vodka laden Jell-O treats and wine laced Jell-O blocks. I then went on to build a Jell-O Cocktail party featuring:

Cosmopolitan Jell-O Martini
Margarita Jell-O Martini
Tequila Sunrise
Chardonnay Shots
Apple Martini
(It actually was Lime)


Cocktails- Jelled Posted by Hello

It was really quite easy to prepare with the majority of the prep spent in calculating how much booze to substitute for the manufacturer suggested liquids. The basic recipe for all is:

1 box of any size flavored Jell-O. Follow manufacturer directions for dissolving the Jell-O with boiled water. Allow the dissolved Jell-O to cool but not set. To make the cocktails, pour ½ desired amount of dissolved Jell-O into Martini or shot glass. Add an equivalent amount of desired booze mixture and chill. Serve when firm.

1 comment:

Elise said...

I hope you had some help drinking, I mean eating, all of those! I can taste the alcohol from here!