Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Tender As Mother's Love

With Big Lu of BBQ Junkie’s Seven in Seven last week, I just had to get some BBQ for myself. I can't read seven days of BBQ joint reviews without just wanting a taste of some good smoked meat.

My favorite joint is JR’s BBQ on La Cienega in Culver City. I must be a creature of habit or is it just that I love the rib tips. It is listed in the menu section “meat by the pound”. At $8.25 that is a good deal. Not a lot of fat, just tender juicy, tasty tips. I always order the sauce on the side so I can get the meat taste alone or dip a tip in the sauce (I like it hot) for a total sensation.

Dry rubbed then slow smoked with a combination of mesquite, pecan and white oak. They describe it as “Tender As Mother’s Love”.

They were included in L.A. Times Magazine, June 2001 as one of “L.A.’s Best Dishes A to Z”. Descriptions from this review by S. Irene Vibila included:

“The stuff is great! So are the sides.”

“Ribs themselves are about as meaty as the writer has had.”

“The brisket is remarkably tasty”

“The spicy chicken or beef links are especially good sliced on the diagonal and stacked about 3 Inches high.”

“The writer marveled over sumptuous baked beans loaded with bits of smoky pork.”

“The potato salad is world class, moist and delicately seasoned.”

“Save room for the 7-Up cake.”

“ The beauty is that JR’s has it all.”

JR's Barbecue is located at the corner of La Cienega and Blackwelder… right where Fairfax and La Cienega meet, about 1 block south of the 10 freeway.

3055 So. La Cienega Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Phone: 310.837.6838
Fax: 310.837.6836

3 comments:

BBQ Junkie said...

I haven't had BBQ in three days now. I'm Kinda jones'n for it. I was thinking about going to phillip's or woody's tomorrow... but after looking at your photos I might have to go to JR's.

sylvie1950 said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

BBQ Junkie said...

I went and had lunch there today. Super delicious! Thanks for tip.