Sunday, May 15, 2005

Nothing is Wasted!


What is this? Posted by Hello

My husband came home from work Friday proclaiming he'd found a most unusual treat he thought I might like. Now I do love pork cracklins. That is probably one of my most forbidden treats. (It's a cholesterol thing.)

He handed me the bag. Fried Pork Ears. Wow, that's different. However in L.A., I have learned to not be surprised by any type or form of food as this city is so ethnically diverse.

I thought back to where I have seen pork ears and then thought of Ziggy. Yes, at the local pet store there are abundant bags of whole pork ears for doggy chew treats. Not this time. These were thinly sliced and hard fried. The taste and crunch was like a pork cracklin but the salty taste was missing. I added some hot sauce which did round out the flavor. Still not my usual fried out pork fat but still tasty.


Fried Pork Ears 2 Posted by Hello

At$2.55 for a 2.5 oz bag, these were a bit more expensive than my usual $0.99 for a similar weight bag purchase of pork cracklins.


Fried Pork Ears Posted by Hello

3 comments:

BBQ Junkie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one eating fried pork skins :)

Cate said...

I love cracklin'. There's a Portuguese restaurant near us that makes it perfectly, but unfortunately, I don't eat it anymore ... the older I get (and geesh, I'm only 34!), the less my stomach likes the stuff. You'll have to have double for me!! :)

Rachael Narins said...

Sylvie,
I love your blog SO much. It is so amazingly great to read! Thank you so much, its a highlight of my day.

-Rachael