Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Five Things to Eat Before You Die


I've been tagged by Curt at Bucky's Barbecue Blog for another meme that's going around with the folks at The Traveler's Lunchbox listing all the responses from bloggers all over the world. The title of this event is called the Foodbloggers Guide to the Globe .

The goal this to list five and only Five things to Eat Before You Die with the object in mind of what you think everyone should eat at some point in their life.

I made the mistake of reading through the responses of other food bloggers which made my first choices not seem so unique. Then I just decided to go with what I eat and love. There are so many regional favorites in the U.S. My choices include a "Soul Fusion" of foods with a southern U.S. flare mixed with traditional American style cookies plus a tribute to New Orleans with oysters on the half shell. Anyway, this is what I came up with. Each is a treat I love.


1. Fried Chicken with a cripsy crust. I like it home fried in a cast iron skillet with a dusting of flour and seasoning. Growing up, my mother cooked this once a week with french fries from potatoes she sliced by hand and also fried in crisco oil.
2. Southern Greens (mustards and collards). A southern treat cooked in a broth flavored with a smoked hamhock, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of hot pepper.
3. Raw Oysters on the halfshell with hotsauce and lemon plus a dab of horseradish. I remember this as a special treat I had at the oyster bar in New Orleans called the Acme Seafood Company.
4. White chocolate chip and macadamia nut cookies. My own special recipe which make a flavorful soft cookie.
5. BLT Sandwich (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato). Simply cooked bacon with bread slices slathered with mayonnaise with tomato and lettuce slices.

These are my choices. I'd like to tag a couple of folks. Hope they will join the Foodbloggers Guide to The Globe.

Peanut Butter Etouffee
Oishi Eats

3 comments:

Curt McAdams said...

Sylvie, great choices! This time of year, my wife and I generally have BLTs for a meal once a week, but only during tomato season. They're just so hard to beat! I think I may have also had oysters at the same place, but I like to make a little concoction of cocktail sauce, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and horseradish to dip the oysters in.

I read the list, too, but after I did mine. I like these lists that are simple instead of pretentious!

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Sometimes it's the simple things that are the best. I can remember the first BLT I had. I got to go to a tea-room with my aunt and mother and I thought I was a real grownup.

Thanks for the memory.

Oishii Eats said...

I like how you keep your before dying list nice and simple. I think I'm the same way. I've been thinking about this for daaaays now. I'll have mine up soon. (^o^) Thanks girl!