Saturday, December 02, 2006

A Mountain Of Cookies To Build a Tree

Boy have I been busy. A mountain of cookies for my christmas tree. when I started this project, I didn't really think about how many cookies I had to decorate. Luckily this is a No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe I first got from Kitchen Gifts a number of years ago. I play around and use varying extracts including almond, lemon, orange and combination of these. I am consisitent in using the exact amount of the other ingredients.








NO FAIL SUGAR COOKIES
6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Mix well.

Chill for 1 to 2 hours

Roll to desired thickness (I like ¼ inch) and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. This recipe
can make up to 8-dozen 3" cookies.

Royal Icing (from Kitchen Gifts)

2 tablespoons meringue powder
1/4 cup water (I sometimes substitute with rose water, key lime juice or lemon juice)
About 2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon flavoring such as vanilla, lemon, orange or almond (optional to use any flavoring in the royal icing.)

It's easiest to make royal icing if you use a large electric mixer. You can make smaller quantities in
a small bowl and just stirring with a spoon.

Put confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and flavoring in mixing bowl. Start mixer and add water a little at a time until you get the desired consistency. It's best to keep it a little stiff at first and thin it later to pipe or fill.

Mix until smooth and shiny.

Take out portions of it to tint with food coloring. Keep the icing you are not working with covered with a damp cloth or paper towel so it doesn't dry out.



See more cookie photos on Flickr

4 comments:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

I used this recipe this week but not for as many as you did. It's the best tasting sugar cookie recipe I've found.

barb said...

Sooooooooooo Sylvie with the abundance of cookies you are making, do ya spose mine are on the way???!!! They wonderful - jealous way jealous!!!

By the way where does one buy those tiny plastic bags sister moon and I have a need to know Please.

sylvie1950 said...

No secret-Our favorite restaurant supply-Surfas. They have the clear in packages of 100 and sometimes they have seasonal designs.

Even though my tree is quite small, I did manage to get quite a few cookies on it.

sylvie1950 said...

Thanks to all of you at the HomeTalk Entertainment Forum for your compliments.
http://www.hometalkentertainment.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61320