Sunday, September 27, 2009

Smoked Some Brisket and Pulled Pork Today

My hubby made a special request for me to BBQ some meats for a hungry group of his co-workers. The initial request was for brisket but since I had to load the smoker, I decided to add some pork butt for pulled pork. This would also serve as a practice session in that my competition BBQ team will be competing October 16th and 17th at the Viejas Outlet Center in Alpine, California, Smokin' in the Park.

During competitions, pork butt/pulled pork is my primary meat to prepare while my other teamates (Four Q) prepare the other three meats (chicken, ribs and brisket). Preparing the brisket is a little outside my comfort zone, but I have watched it being prepared often enough by my teammate so I was good to go.


Sliced Brisket (flat and point). Taste was great.














Pork just before it was pulled/shredded













WSM For Smoking. The meats were loaded in the WSM and a temp between 225 and 250 was maintained. A combination of apple and cherry wood was used with charcoal briquettes.












Brisket nearly up to temp.















Brislet (top rack) Pork Butt (bottom rack). After about 11 hours, the meats reached temp and were removed from the smoker , wrapped in foil and allowed to rest for about an hour.

No comments: