Monday, February 26, 2007

Crab Cakes


I had a taste for crab cakes. I haven't made these in a while and noted that I had a can of lump crab meat in my refrigerator for a few months which needed to be used. The other ingredients are staples in my kitchen so preparing these didn't take much planning.

My recipe is adapted from the recipe straight off the Phillips Crab meat can. I tweak it with a few other ingredients listed in the recipe below. This time I also added some finely chopped celery.
Take care in combining the ingredients so you maintain lumps of the crab meat.

I use a large ice cream scoop to form the cakes. I first place the dome in the skillet and cook for about 30 sections before I flatten the domes. My own little quirk but it seems to me that the crab cakes have a little time to bind and I don't get as much flaking.



This crab cake recipe can also be used substituting a flaky type fish for the crab. Another little variation is to substitute Ritz crackers for the bread crumbs. This variation I got from one of my friends in Baltimore along with adding about a 1/4 tsp of tabasco sauce for a little mild heat.



Crab Cakes (or Fish Cakes)
Adapted from Phillips Crabmeat Canned Product Recipe
2002 (888-234-2722)

1 lb crab (or flaky fish) in a mixing bowl. Leave in large lumps

Second bowl- beat:
1 egg
1 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp seafood seasoning
1 tsp parsley flakes
¼ tsp dry mustard
1 heaping tbl mayonaise
1 heaping tsp prepared mustard (I use Dijon)
optional add 2 tbl diced onion and 1 clove diced garlic

Take 2 slices of toasted bread and crumble into small pieces (I use Japanese Panko bread instead of bread crumbs).
Mix bread with fish
Fold in egg-spice mixture with fish
Consistency shoud be moist but stays together.
Make patties- serving size
Use seasoned Flour mixture (add some seafood seasoning, cayenne, salt and pepper) to coat patties.

Coat skillet with Pam type coating or olive oill. Fry on each side til golden brown.

6 comments:

barb said...

Oh my how I love crab cakes and always looking for a new version.Thanks bunches Sylvie. I agree about your "quirky" way of frying them. And the dry mustard and the W sauce gives it the zip. I have used roasted red
peppers. Can ya tell I like crab cakes.

maltese parakeet said...

i've always been afraid to try canned crab, but if you use it, then i'm going to give it a try! these look great!

Anonymous said...

I love a good crab cake...your's look good. I will have to give them a try!

Anonymous said...

Dang those look awfully good! Think you could make them at the contest? *grinz*

Anonymous said...

Wow. These sound excellent! For breadcrumbs, you can also take day-old bread and pulse it in a food processor.

sylvie1950 said...

Crab cakes are a favorite. Goes to show you, there are so many variations and with great starting ingredients you can't go wrong.