Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hot Pot- Sylvie Style

G and I have been frequenting a very good Korean Hot Pot restaurant on Washington Blvd, On Dal 2. They specialize only in flavorful hot pots brewing right at your tableside with varying levels of spicy heat and choices which include, huge shrimp, crab, seafood and a whole lot more. It is recommended that you wear the bibs provided and jump into the messy, tasty family style broth.

Anyway, I have been obsessed with trying to create such a meal at home. Their's is a family guarded recipe which up front I acknowledge I couldn't come close to recreating. With the help of the internet and a couple of Korean cookbooks I happen to own, I prepared my Soul Fusion Kitchen rendition of a Hot Pot cooked tableside using an electric frying pan.

Sylvie's Brewing Hot Pot


















I didn't really follow a recipe but instead relied upon taste for the amounts of each ingredient I added. I started with a chicken broth base to which I added Korean Chili Pepper paste (Kochujang)(1-2 T) and chili powder (Kochukaru)(1 T) along with some soy sauce (2 T), sake (2 T), sesame oil(2 drops), garlic (4-6 cloves minced), soybean paste (1 T) and anchovy paste (<1 T).


















I rummaged through my refrigerator and freezer for items to add to the hot pot. I chose to add some scallops, shrimp, chicken cubes, fish, bok choy, broccoli rabe, mushrooms and zucchini.

















With a bowl of rice, G and I indulged in my rendition of messy, tasty, spicy hot pot.

2 comments:

maltese parakeet said...

looks delicious and also looks like i found another use for my electric fondue pot. thanks for the idea! i once made korean bbq (bulgogi) on my table with my george foreman grill. you gotta work with what you have available!

Anonymous said...

Hey Food Bloogers

Do you guys know the worst cook in America. We want to hear their story

CLUELESS IN THE KITCHEN? LEARN TO COOK WITH BOBBY FLAY!

Single and can’t cook a meal for one? Frustrated because you don’t know how to pack a nutritious lunchbox for your kids? Forgo paying for culinary school and learn the basics in two weeks with Bobby Flay’s “Real Food Cooking School.”

Impress us with your wit and your lack of food knowledge… Bobby Flay is ready to school you as only an Iron Chef can! You’ll learn the basics of grilling, sautéing, knife skills, how to make simple, nutritious meals from real foods…and so much more!

If you’re feisty and eager to step up your cooking skills: make us a 3-minute VHS tape or DVD telling us your worst cooking story, the most horrible meal you ever cooked, and why you should be a part of Bobby Flay’s “Real Food Cooking School.”

Worried? Don’t be – you’ll be having too much fun! Remember…have a family member, best friend or spouse make an appearance on your tape – a little testimonial, “Oh my god, she regularly burns the bottom of the sauce pan!” goes a long way.

All applicants should live in the United States, be over the age of 18, and be available April 15-30th for filming in New York City.

Please mail tapes by March 22nd to:
ATT: Real Food Cooking School
110 Leroy Street
New York, NY 10014

Questions? Email us at realfoodcookingschool@gmail.com